Monday, July 18, 2011

Weekly Harvest Weigh-In #5


A few recent soaking rains and some comfortably warm sunshine have really brought on a surge of growth in my garden this week.  I'm always amazed at how quickly a squash vine can cover ground.  It's nice to see things greening up and thriving finally after such a rough start to the season.

My harvest is just beginning to steadily trickle in now and before long I will be consumed with canning.  I had my pressure canner inspected last Monday and we are all set to go. 

I am really pleased with myself for getting the garden thoroughly mulched this year.  The weeds are not winning the war this time around.  I've been a bit under the weather since last Tuesday with a ragweed allergy that has made its way into my chest, causing me much coughing and loss of sleep, but fortunately I've not had to worry about the weeds getting ahead of me. 

Hopefully I will be over this miserable cough soon and back to normal.  I had planned to finish my new hive stand this past weekend, but I really didn't have the energy to mess with it.  It's half done now, with the posts leveled and set.  It's going to be really sturdy and will keep the ants out of my bee boxes.  I can't wait to show it to you.  (And I can't wait to bring my girls back home!)

Here's a quick peek at how the garden is growing this week:
My kitchen herb/flower garden is filling out.  I've managed to keep most of it weeded.  The large clump of grass in the middle is lemongrass.  It smells so yummy, like Fruit Loops!

The heirloom "greasy" pole beans are starting to make their way up the tee-pees.  The one on the right has started blooming very early compared to all the others -- possibly a new strain worth saving seed from.

Overview of most of the garden, looking to the north.

I'll have some crookneck squash to harvest and enjoy this week!

Overview of the garden, looking toward the south.  I have a lot more squash and melons than what you can see on the right.  They didn't all fit in the picture.

My Costoluto Genovese tomatoes and most of the other varieties I planted are loaded and will be ripening soon.

The Giant Marconi peppers are filling out.  Now I'm just waiting on them to turn red.

This year's attempt at no-dig potatoes.  You can watch a video on the method I used here.

Here's all of my onions after curing and prepping them for storage.


My weigh-in numbers for this week are as follows:

Red onions - 10.44 lbs.
Yellow onions - 22.84 lbs.
Ozark Beauty everbearing strawberries - 1.75 lbs. (about a pint)
Thornless blackberries - 1.41 lb.
Santa Fe hot peppers - 1.23 lb.
2 Genovese Costoluto tomatoes - 1.33 lbs.
(Plus a handful of Supersweet 100 cherry tomatoes that didn't make it inside to be weighed.  ;)

This week's total harvest weigh-in - 39 lbs.

I've decided to record all of my measurements in pounds just to keep it uniform and so I can keep a running total.

Ok, your turn!
(Special thanks to Meg at Sparing Change for telling me about InLinkz free linky tool!)


This Weigh-In will be open until midnight EST on Sunday, July 24th. All that is required is that your post be current and relevant to edible gardening that you have invested your own time and sweat equity in. Be sure to link to your specific gardening post and NOT your blog's main page. Please provide a link within your post to the current Weigh-In so that others can join in. You are welcome to grab the Harvest Weigh-In banner above and use it to link back here. This is a family friendly site and I reserve the right to remove any links that are inappropriate, irrelevant or otherwise deemed spam.

***Weighing in is optional; you are still welcome to link up a post about your garden!
If you don't have anything to weigh-in for this week, that's OK!***

Check back with us every Monday for the next week's Harvest Weigh-In! Take some time to visit other gardeners' blog posts below that may be of interest to you. Happy gardening!




No comments:

Post a Comment