Thursday, September 23, 2010

Not So Creepy

...when they're little!



He's actually kinda cute.  I guess all baby animals are, in their own way!

I went down right at dusk to put the chickens to bed and found this little guy crawling around on a shelf in my chicken barn.  Looking to get into my feed, no doubt. 

I scooped him easily into a bucket and took him up to the garage where my husband was busy sharpening his chainsaw blades.  He looked into the bucket and jumped back a bit, surprised.

This baby opossum is only about 8 inches long, nose to rump.  I didn't have the heart to kill it, so I had hubby haul it off a few miles and turn it loose out in the woods.  He hasn't tried to kill any chickens yet, so I'll let him off this time!  I'm sure there are probably more of his kin out there to keep an eye out for...

We shot a big one a couple of months back that was trying to get the chickens.  And we also found the head--just the head--of a smaller one lying in the yard a few weeks ago.  I'm not sure what would eat a whole opossum and leave only the head... We have a lot of barn cats up here.  Must have been very hungry, whatever it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment