Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Hint of Color

Spring is finally revealing her first hints of color.  I didn't realize until today just how starved my eyes have been for color and sunshine.  Amazing how blindingly green the grass appears after those first spring rains, isn't it?


Even the "weeds" are strikingly beautiful to me at this time of year.  I can't get much to grow in this little rock garden the rest of summer.  It is too dry and rocky.  But the mouse-eared chickweed and this purple flowering weed (that I do not know the name of) are thriving here right now and have made of themselves a lovely, naturalized display.

I also realized upon closer scrutiny that some mason bees have made a home in the center of my frog's belly.  See the small patch of brown with the small holes "drilled" in it?  Mason bees are wonderful pollinators to have around.


Just passing by, it is easy to dismiss these colorful weeds.  They are so tiny, it takes a closer look to appreciate their delicate details.


The mouse-eared chickweed is also edible, although I find I don't much like the taste of it myself.  I'm sure it's packed with lots of nutrients though.


They look like tiny little daisies.  My daughter thinks the fuzzy buds actually do look like mouse ears.  :)


We've been picking little bouquets of flowers for each other.  Hers are usually quite a bit squished and the stems too short to put into water, but I love them just the same!


My lilac is preparing to bloom.  They are one of my favorite flowers.  I like the old fashioned ones with the heavy scent.  These buds are only half an inch in length, but they look larger in this macro shot.


My old "lap dog", Sierra, is happy to see warmer days.  She will finally go outside and stay awhile now.  She loves to bask in the sun and feel the cool grass under her belly.


A hint of pink and a promise of good things to come:  my dwarf peach tree is getting ready to burst into bloom.


The deciduous trees are waking up from their winter dormancy.  They look like they've been lightly airbrushed in glowing colors.

The woods start to call to me this time of year.  I really look forward to going mushroom hunting in the next couple of weeks.  It is my favorite spring tradition.  I just love to be out in the woods.


The bees are busy about their spring housekeeping.  A few of the workers are returning loaded up with pollen.  We have a lot of biodiversity in their forage out here.  I don't think I'll ever need to feed them.  I don't like to rob them blind anyway.


I'm so glad that I can officially say spring is here now.  Seems like it took forever to get here this year!

Enough of a break - I have to go plant onions now.  :)

1 comment:

  1. My chickens love to eat chickweed. When I find some I pull it out and throw it over the fence to them. Then the mad rush is on as if they have been straved for days! Silly girls

    ReplyDelete