Friday, July 16, 2010

Horsey Neighbors

It's always been high on my wish list to be able to look out of my kitchen window and see horses grazing in the field beyond.  Originally this dream came with the desire to have enough acreage to pasture my own horse.  I would love to have 100 acres and more horses!  But with only one acre to our property, my gaited paint gelding, Journey, is kept on my Dad's farm 10 minutes down the road.

We got some new neighbors last April and recently they brought in their four horses, which I will enjoy watching in the 13 acre field below our house almost as much as if they were my own.  I get to enjoy them without having to pay for their feed and care, which sounds like a good deal to me!  ;)

This is their little herd of four mares.  It's been raining a lot lately, but I ran out the door with my camera when I saw they were close enough to the fence line to get some good shots.

Horsey Neighbors

This dappled gray mare is my favorite.  Aside from being very pretty, she is also the most friendly of the four.

Dapple Gray Mare

This mare could be the twin sister of my own horse, Journey, except that she is probably 2 hands taller than him.  Her markings are brown and his are black, but the placement is very similar.

Journey's Twin Sister

They also have four cattle as well.  Here are the two steers.  (Don't get attached to them.  They probably won't be around long.  I will call them Cheeseburger and Steak'um.)

Steers

Here is a cow with her calf.

Cow and Calf

My chickens came running up to the juncture of the two fence lines as if to say, "hey, we're cute too! "  (Or quite possibly, "hey, where's our treat?")

Laying Flock, Summer '10

The grass is always greener on the other side!  The bottom was originally fenced for a couple of dairy goats and for use as a rabbit pen for training the hunting beagles that the previous owner raised.  

I think they said they are also getting "fainting goats".  I'll get pictures of those too when they arrive!

Grass is Greener...

No comments:

Post a Comment