Saturday, March 20, 2010

Homemade Deer Repellant

I had to deworm my chickens this week, so following the recommended 14 day withdrawal period for the Ivermectin Pour-on, I have to toss 2 weeks worth of eggs (about 112 eggs).  What to do with all these eggs?  I hate to just waste them.  I can't feed them to the chickens because it would put the medicine back into their systems.  I can't feed them to the dogs, because the dogs are already on heartworm preventative medication and they probably shouldn't have the extra (or it may lead to the development of parasitic resistance).  They do give Ivermectin to children in third world countries, but I really don't think I want to try it.  I am pretty sure I don't have worms anyway!

Well, my Mom told me about this recipe from WSAZ's John Marra (WV ag extension agent who answers calls for gardening questions on air).  I was able to find the video clip online.  He goes a little more in depth than I will here.

http://www.wsaz.com/video/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=4632658&flvUri=&partnerclipid

The recipe is as follows:

  • 1 egg

  • 1/2 cup milk

  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil

  • 1 tbsp liquid dish soap


Combine all and mix well.  Pour into a one gallon container and dilute with water to equal one gallon.  Let this nasty mix sit outside for at least 3 days and get even nastier.  Shake well and use a pump sprayer or watering can to apply it to the plants you want to protect.  The dish soap helps to break the surface tension of the water so the concoction will cling to your plants better.  It won't hurt your plants and won't need to be reapplied until you've had some significant rain.  MUCH cheaper than Liquid Fence and every bit as repugnant!

It is the egg that is so effective in Liquid Fence, the main active ingredient.  Well, I can either make 112 gallons, which actually might come in handy now that the deer have discovered my strawberry patch last fall.  Or maybe I'll try to double/triple up on the egg in a few batches and see if I can bear to stroll through my backyard following its application.  HA!

Oh, if you are interested, here is the off-label use of cattle pour-on Ivermectin for deworming chickens, as per advice I have gotten from the chicken experts on BYC.  It is preferrably done in late fall after they've taken a break from laying, but a few of mine were showing a little droopiness and I figured I'd better just do it.  I have previously only dewormed/medicated my chickens on a case by case, as needed basis, but maybe now that my flock is bigger I should be taking a more prophylactic approach.

Pour-on "Ivermec" is readily attainable from your feed dealer or farm store and comes in liquid form.  Using a 10 mL syringe (no needle, of course), apply about 5 good drops to the skin on the back of each bird's neck.  Be sure to lift the feathers and get it right down on the skin.  This dosage is for standard breed chickens.  Use a little more or less depending on the size of your bird.  Banty's will need less.  I must admit though, I probably applied more like 1/2 mL to each bird once all was said and done, they squirmed so much.  That's pretty close.  Ivermectin is a very common and safe dewormer as long as you don't totally overdo it.  It will not only control internal parasites, but mites, fleas and ticks too.

No comments:

Post a Comment